EDWARD VI CAMP HILL SCHOOL FOR BOYS GEOGRAPHY DEPARTMENT SCHEME OF WORK
YEAR 9 (2000)
Unit One - Natural Environments(4 weeks)
1. What factors affect climate ? 2. What is Britain's climate ? 3. What is the Equatorial Climate ? 4. How is the natural vegetation of the tropical rain forests adapted to the climate, soil and human activity ? 5. Why should the rainforests be conserved ?
Unit Two - Natural Hazards (6 weeks)
1. What are volcanoes ? 2. What are the causes and effects of volcanic activity ? 3. How do humans respond to volcanic activity ? 4. What are earthquakes ? 5. What are the causes and effects of earthquakes ? 6. How do humans respond to earthquakes ? How can damage and loss of life be reduced ? 7. What is the link between the distribution of earthquakes and volcanoes ? How can this be explained (the theory of plate tectonics) ?
Unit Three - The European Union - Italy as an exemplar. (5 weeks)
1. What is the European Union (Community) ? 2. What physical and human features give rise to Italy's distinctive characteristics and regional variety ? 3. How can remote sensing be used to determine how human activity is related to the physical environment in the Bay of Naples ? 4. What are Italy's main regions ? 5. How and why is life different on the North Italian Plain compared to the Mezzogiorno ? Europe map test.
Unit Four - Japan - a study of a developed (industrial) country. (4 weeks)
1. What is Japan like ? 2. What are Japan's sources of energy ? 3. Where is Japan's industry located ? 4. What are the main imports and exports of Japan ? Why is Japan so successful a trading nation ? 5. How has industry affected the environment
Unit Five - World Development (5 weeks)
1. Where do people live ? Why might some countries be said to be "overpopulated" ? 2. How can population growth be controlled (a case study of China's "one-child" policy) ? 3. What is development ? 4. Can development levels be related to employment structures ?
(3 weeks) 5. How does trade affect levels of development ? 6. What is aid ? How effective is aid (a case study of Kerala/Bangladesh) ? 7. How would you improve quality of life for the majority ?
Unit Six - Tourism - case study of tertiary activity. (8 weeks)
1. Choose a non-European tourist attraction. 2. Prepare a brochure designed to attract potential customers using information technology. Half Term
Unit Seven - Examinations (3 weeks)
- Tourism in the European Union - case study of tertiary activity. 1. What is the tourist industry ? 2. What problems does tourism cause ? 3. Where are the popular tourist destinations in Europe ? 4. Disneyland Paris - a holiday dream ? 5. The Alps - a winter wonderland ? 6. Majorca - a holiday paradise?